Pages

Thursday 7 March 2013

The Happy Luceteer

I bought a lucet from a Craft show ages ago. I dabbled with it and enjoyed it, but didn't really get into it because I couldn't work out what to do with my creations. For the uninitiated, a lucet is a two-pronged fork that is used to make decorative (and extremely strong) cord. Anything can be used to do this, but since I have an extensive collection of embroidery silks (courtesy of my late paternal grandmother), I principally use these.

Then, having more time off work, and less money to buy Christmas presents, I picked it up again. I started to look at some of the more advanced techniques incorporating beads, and my imagination was fired with lots of possibilities for jewelery.

The first piece I created was this bracelet for my sister-in-law. It was relatively simple, and I was pleased enough with the result to feel confident to try other ideas.






Then, horror of horrors, I broke my lucet! They are very sturdy little tools generally and, had I not stuffed it quite so hard into my overfilled craft draw, I am sure it would have carried on for years. But right at that point I was extremely frustrated. There's not a lot you can do with a one-armed lucet!
I quickly got in touch with Ziggy at www.thelucet.co.uk and ordered a new lucet. They're inexpensive, and are always supplied with great instructions. And, joy of joys, the delivery service was fantastic and I received my new lucet within two days. Hurrah! I was back in action.

My next project was a necklace with a beaded "daisy" pattern. I like the look, but felt I could glamorise it further by attaching beaded drops using eye-pins and matching beads. I like this look. The photograph here was the prototype, but I extended the idea and experimented further - more to come on that at a later date. Each time it is becoming a little less "sweet". It remains delicate, but is moving in interesting new directions!

Incidentally, the title of this post comes from the way I described myself in an email to Ziggy thanking him for the prompt delivery of my new lucet. His response was "Happy Luceteer? Is there any other kind?!" I think not, Ziggy, I think not.
H.x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for your comments. It's great to hear from fellow crafters.