Pages

Tuesday 26 February 2013

The Jacket

I saw a picture of a grey, shirt-style jacket in a catalogue, and really liked the look of it. Unfortunately my bank-balance  wasn't going to stretch to it! It was stitched open-seam in a contrasting thread that gave it a real definition.

So I set about hunting down a pattern that would do something similar. I knew I had the perfect (if rather unexciting) fabric, but was looking for a paneled style that would make the construction a key feature of the piece.

Eventually I found the ideal piece in an old Burda magazine. All of the shaping and definition was in the construction lines, and there was a peplum back which seemed timeless but has since become highly fashionable!

The open construction of the seams and the lack of lining meant that the project had the potential to be uncomplicated and a quick make.

I over-locked all the pieces in a contrasting thread, then used the same thread to stitch piece onto piece. Simple!





The only difficulty came from the sleeves. Stitching a long narrow tube down the middle proved to be impossible on a sewing machine, so I had to replicate the stitches by hand. It was a bit of a fiddly job, but it worked okay, and nobody spots the difference.

I get lots of compliments when I wear this.
 H.x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for your comments. It's great to hear from fellow crafters.