Pages

Saturday 16 August 2014

When craft projects sneak up on you!


I have a long list of craft projects I wish to make. I try to put new ideas onto this list, and use it as a reference point when I stall creatively.

So I was a little surprised to find that I had made an entire piece (this crochet coaster), without any planning, any intention, and with no idea that I was completing a finished item!

I started out having seen a demonstration for how to crochet granny squares. I was waiting for the garage to come and pick up my car. So, no going out, and no wish to get deeply involved in doing anything, because I would be interrupted. This seemed like a good time to try out the crochet technique.

Upstairs, I have a bag full of scraps of wool - the oddments from knitting projects. But they were upstairs, and I was downstairs, and I really couldn't be bothered to go and find them. (I tell you this to illustrate just how little planning went into this project - although I am aware that it makes me sound very lazy!)

Instead I grabbed a ball of space-dyed wool I have for needle-felting from a cupboard beside me.  I started to try out the technique, and it worked. So, I kept going. And the garage man didn't arrive. And I kept going. And he still didn't arrive. And I realised I had mastered the technique, and could probably stop.

And then I noticed that when I finished the row that I was crocheting, the square would be exactly the right size for a coaster. I completed the row, and sewed in the loose ends. Hey-presto! A project completed without any thought process!

Craft projects are sneaking up on me when I least expect them. I am becoming a stealth-crafter! I'm hoping this is a good thing to be.
H.x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for your comments. It's great to hear from fellow crafters.